Thursday, November 11, 2010

Book Look

After burying my nose in non fiction like The Unschooling Handbook and After Homeschool and Homeschooling our Children Unschooling Ourselves I was ready to go back to the pile of nonfiction I got from Shalonne a million years ago.
Another couple I met through photography mentioned the Dexter Series and how much they (mostly he) loved it. I remembered that I had Darkly Dreaming Dexter so when I was ready for a fiction fix this is the book I picked up.

I'm almost done so here are my almost done thoughts:

Not at all what I normally read. Feeling like I don't really want to put it down. That's typical for me with books I actually finish but this one is kind of annoying me because I'm dreading the "feeling compelled to read the next book in the series" feeling that I think will come. Jury is still out on that.
It's pretty gruesome. Could be more so - I'm sure the tv series it. BUT it's also sick, sick, sick and so unimaginable. BUT that just reassures me that I'm not a killer - not that I was worried - until I started reading about Dexter who is compelled to kill.

Here's the publisher's synopsis:

Meet Dexter Morgan, a polite wolf in sheep s clothing. He s handsome and charming, but something in his past has made him abide by a different set of rules. He s a serial killer whose one golden rule makes him immensely likeable: he only kills bad people. And his job as a blood splatter expert for the Miami police department puts him in the perfect position to identify his victims. But when a series of brutal murders bearing a striking similarity to his own style start turning up, Dexter is caught between being flattered and being frightened -- of himself or some other fiend.

Have you read it? Where you also reassured by your lack of blood lust?

No comments: