Thursday, April 21, 2011

"This time is so short"

Really?
How many times do parents hear this??
I get it.
It hindsight it seems short.
Even when you're in it the years seem to slide by quickly.
But to call this time "short".
I don't buy it.
Especially when you're a 50+ year old woman who still has high school aged kids.
This time is "short"?
You're 50 years old!
I'm not saying 50 is old but I am saying that at 50 you're probably not raring to go out and start a new wild adventure.
Maybe you are.
I don't know.
I'm not 50.
I just think that when I look back at 50 I'm not going to feel that the time with young kids was short.
I assume I'll feel like I wish it had lasted longer - but not that it's short.
I think this phrase comes across in a regretful tone too. Like you didn't enjoy it to its fullest?
Well, part of me feels like I am - enjoying it to the fullest I can while I'm in it. Right now, while I'm in it - I am living the tight squeeze hugs along with the irrational screamed demands. It's not so sugar coated.

At best, 50 is midlife, right?
And to feel that at midlife the time you committed to kids (20 of those 50 years?) was short ... that doesn't make any sense to me.
But maybe that's just because 20 seems like a lot of years when I only have 8 spare years to those 20?
Maybe when I'm 50 I'll come back and smack my 28 year old self.
In the mean time - don't tell me this time is short.
I've heard it.
I don't buy it.
I might scream in your face that you're a delusional old person.
You've been warned.

No comments: