Friday, January 7, 2011

Early days of parenting:: link round up and end of post

There are pros and cons to every decision in life.
I couldn't wait to have children.
I couldn't.
In fact, if you know me, you're impressed with how long I did wait!

That meant we had children young.
Or so we're told.
We can't imagine (more I can't imagine) if we had waited longer.
So now a lot of our peers are having their first babies.

And they're asking for advice.
And they're getting it.
From me.
From their mom.
Their best friend.
The stranger on the street.

Advice is good - take what works, leave the rest.
I have written more than one person book-length emails on things I found helpful. I alway say: I wish I knew then what I know now, so I want to give anyone interested all the information I can so they can start with more than I had!

And it's fun.
It's fun to share your insights based on experience.
But I wouldn't want anyone to choose I what I chose (or wish I chose) because I said to.
I want it to be part of the puzzle of information they get and then re-work into their own life in a way that works for them.
So cosleeping worked for us when the babies were very young. Around 7mos we transitioned the kids out of our bed. It wasn't the plan ahead of time, just what worked out for us both times.
So if a friend decides cosleeping isn't working for them - great - if they decide cosleeping until their child is off at college - great. Whatever works.
My husband will tell you that sometimes (more often than I'll admit) someone will choose something that I am so so very not okay with - even if it does feel like it works for them.
Yes, judging.
I don't see that as a bad thing - everyone judges all the time. It's how you decide if what you're doing is what works or if you should try something else.
Having said all of that ... here are some websites for parents to be, new parents, or just curious people that I have found helpful in my parenting experience:


Kelly Mom (all breastfeeding questions you could possibly have can be found here)
Dr. Sears pediatrician who has 8 kids, one special needs, one adopted (so the gamut) who wrote several books with his wife on pregnancy, birth, baby, etc that I have found immeasurably helpful
The Babywearer babywearing was a.m.a.z.i.n.g with Ark Boy and I lived on the forum here after his birth
Mothering when you're ready for attachment parenting at it's most intense this is the place to go - very important here to take what works for you and leave the rest. It can be overwhelming in size as well as passion for natural parenting. It's mostly the forum I use on this site.

I've been asked about book resources several times too so that might be a future post...

No comments: