Friday, January 7, 2011

Why I think I might be an anarchist

The definition of anarchist according to thefreedictionary.com is:

anarchist [ˈænəkɪst]
n
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a person who advocates the abolition of government and a social system based on voluntary cooperation
2. a person who causes disorder or upheaval

I think generally I'm a peaceful person - I like everyone to be happy.
But I also resent being told what is best for me when I don't agree with said "best".
This comes out in my thoughts about healthcare.
It seems unreasonable that choosing a homebirth which is statistically safer would not be covered by insurance and lead to headache after headache when trying to obtain birth certificates, etc. It seems unreasonable that this health decision is made by the powers that be when not only is this safer birth not covered by insurance it is also illegal in many states.
It seems unreasonable that when you choose to make an informed decision about vaccinations - if those decisions lead to a child not vaccinated on the CDC's schedule then exemption forms need to be filled out before a child can enter public (and private) school. Since when does school have control over private health care decisions?!?
So I think I might be leaning towards anarchy. It might be too chaotic, I'm not sure.
So anarchy lite? Thankful we can move to a more secluded life ... perhaps a culture that is not any more comfortable with alternative though ... While it will be a fight to unschool I don't think the fight will be as great as it is with healthcare decisions. (Don't even get me started on everyone's concern about health insurance and our secluded life where we work for ourselves - that's a whole 'nother rant!) Hopefully. I don't know though - we have a 4.5 year old as an oldest so no one is too worried yet. We'll see what happens in the next couple years.

No comments: